From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, libressl@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Recap: Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:47:09
1 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > > It is important to me that you can choose dev-libs/libretls instead of
3 > > having any libretls code on your systems, but I reject you forcing that
4 > > choice of yours on everyone else.
5 >
6 > I'm having trouble making sense of this sentence. Did you mean to
7 > write "libressl" instead of "libretls" somewhere?
8
9 Sorry, yes, that's right. "having any libressl code" is what I intended.
12 > Anyway, it seems like the people maintaining libressl in Gentoo are
13 > really not interested in keeping it going.
14
15 I don't know? There wasn't much discussion about my suggestion to keep
16 libressl code available in Gentoo in some ways causing no interference
17 with same SONAMEs openssl.
18
19 So again what I'm advocating for is creative ways to at the very least
20 not have to remove it completely, which I think becomes easy, by
21 redefining what a libressl ebuild installs for now. At the moment I'm
22 thinking about these two:
23
24 1. no-brainer: libtls .so with libressl implementation
25
26 2. more novel: lib{crypto,ssl} static-libs in non-standard location
27 with libressl.pc in default search path
30 > A libtls wrapper around openssl seems much more manageable to me,
31 > and that should probably be the default option for people.
32
33 I disagree on both points.
34
35 I'm still working on checking what 1. above requires. So far it looks like
36 the answer will be "nothing"; an ebuild wouldn't need any patch at all,
37 meaning zero overhead on bumps.
38
39 And I for one certainly expect libressl libtls to be the default - that
40 is the canonical upstream.
43 Thanks
44
45 //Peter