From: "René Neumann" <lists@××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE_EXPAND is not an IUSE replacement [was: New USE_EXPAND: CLAWS_MAIL_PLUGINS]
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 12:59:30
1 Am 24.04.2013 11:51, schrieb René Neumann:
2 > As more and more packages seem to (mis)use USE_EXPAND: Can we get the
3 > possibility to set this directly in package.use? Having to write
4 > 'claws_mail_plugins_foo' does not help readability, and setting it in
5 > make.conf is also not the right way (as is package.env).
6
7 I just noted, that USE_EXPAND variables are even worse than I thought...
8
9 NGINX_MODULES_HTTP="-access" emerge -av nginx
10 Invalid '-' operator in non-incremental variable 'NGINX_MODULES_HTTP':
11 '-access
12
13 In other words: They do not even work from commandline (in a stacking
14 manner).
15
16 So, what exactly are the use-cases again, and why are normal use-flags
17 replaced by them? I already see a future where packages carry a
18 "FOOBAR_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS" use-expand ... when IUSE is not hip enough
19 any more.
20
21 - René
22
23 P.S.: Using USE_EXPAND for PYTHON_TARGETS or LINGUAS or VIDEO_CARDS is
24 of course good, as I (usually) set this system-wide.