From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A Gentle Reminder
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:42:29
1 On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:33:52 +0000
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:22:48 +0100 "Kevin F. Quinn"
5 > <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
6 > | Do you object to such packages (specifically with security issues)
7 > | being p.masked?
8 >
9 > If it's forcing a downgrade, yes.
10 >
11 > | I'm not sure we should be encouraging people to continue using
12 > | packages when we know there are known security issues.
13 >
14 > You assume that being affected by a local denial of service on a
15 > system where all users have the root password is more important than
16 > using a package that has been verified to work by an arch team member.
17
18 I said nothing about local denial of service; perhaps you're thinking
19 of a particular instance - I'm not. To rhetorically follow your line of
20 discussion, you're happy to have remote exploits remain in the tree
21 (i.e. promoted by Gentoo) if a package is marked stable and a patch
22 isn't available?
23
24 The point about p.masking (rather than removal) is that we have then
25 made reasonable efforts to inform the user and give them the
26 opportunity to decide what they want to do, based on their own security
27 policy - which could be to unmask locally and continue regardless, or
28 could be to remove the package and try something else. That way they'd
29 be making informed decisions.
30
31 I think if we're to promote packages that have security issues on an
32 arch, we need to be very clear that we're not making reasonable efforts
33 to ensure that arch is free of known exploits.
36 Kevin F. Quinn