From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:34:34
1 On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:05:00 -0400 solar <solar@g.o> wrote:
2 | You two are the ones trying to distort the meaning of RDEPEND=
3 | simply because the depclean is broken for the cases you make.
4
5 Not at all. The 'R' in RDEPEND means 'needed after the compile is
6 done'. However, for the sake of keeping the tree small, naming the
7 variable STUFFTHATISNEEDEDAFTERTHECOMPILEISDONEDEPEND is clearly
8 impractical.
9
10 | Where is your GLEP for this? Where is a real like example?
11 | I'm sure you can dig back in the tree and show us something you had
12 | to fix in the tree if this is such a problem as you were asserting
13 | last night. While your at it please go ahead and show us the code that
14 | resolves the case for everybody so this silly thread can end.
15
16 I'd hope that there aren't any cases of brokenness in the tree right
17 now. However, if you'd like to manufacture some, an easy way would be
18 to find any library (call it lib1) that installs a .h file that uses
19 a .h file from another library (call it lib2), and then remove the
20 dependency, unmerge the original library and then try to install a
21 package which depends upon lib1.
22
23 You're assuming that if lib1 needs something from lib2 then there will
24 be an ELF dependency. This is incorrect in situations where templates
25 are used.
26
27 | I've already busted by ass and fixed the vital broken packages and
28 | eclasses which INCORRECTLY included linux-headers etc in RDEPEND=
29
30 Which is entirely different from things which CORRECTLY include
31 linux-headers or any other library in DEPEND.
34 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
35 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
36 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm