From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:00:46
1 On Tuesday 25 October 2005 22:38, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:05:00 -0400 solar <solar@g.o> wrote:
3 > | You two are the ones trying to distort the meaning of RDEPEND=
4 > | simply because the depclean is broken for the cases you make.
5 >
6 > Not at all. The 'R' in RDEPEND means 'needed after the compile is
7 > done'. However, for the sake of keeping the tree small, naming the
8 > variable STUFFTHATISNEEDEDAFTERTHECOMPILEISDONEDEPEND is clearly
9 > impractical.
10
11 I agree here. If you don't want packages to be pulled in because of header
12 files, you need support for that (perhaps in the form of subpackages, or
13 a useflag). But IF the header files of a package are installed one should
14 be able to assume that they keep on working. Even after buildtime-only
15 dependencies have been removed.
16
17 In the case of embedded it is clear that what in binary distributions is
18 part of the development package (.la files, static libraries, header
19 files) is not desired at all. To break dependencies to only strip away
20 some of the headers seems to me a half solution that breaks a lot and
21 doesn't solve the problem either.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze