From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:22:05
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 >
3 > I agree here. If you don't want packages to be pulled in because of header
4 > files, you need support for that (perhaps in the form of subpackages, or
5 > a useflag). But IF the header files of a package are installed one should
6 > be able to assume that they keep on working. Even after buildtime-only
7 > dependencies have been removed.
8
9 I agree too
12 > In the case of embedded it is clear that what in binary distributions is
13 > part of the development package (.la files, static libraries, header
14 > files) is not desired at all. To break dependencies to only strip away
15 > some of the headers seems to me a half solution that breaks a lot and
16 > doesn't solve the problem either.
17 >
18 > Paul
21 Btw embedded has already different way to archive the same result (ok,
22 removing headers and static libs after isn't really the cleanest
23 solution but works fine)
24
25 lu
29 Luca Barbato
30
31 Gentoo/linux Developer Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
32 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list