From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:39:04
1 On Thursday 27 October 2005 02:15, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > I agree here. If you don't want packages to be pulled in because of
4 > > header files, you need support for that (perhaps in the form of
5 > > subpackages, or a useflag). But IF the header files of a package are
6 > > installed one should be able to assume that they keep on working.
7 > > Even after buildtime-only dependencies have been removed.
8 >
9 > I agree too
10 >
11 > > In the case of embedded it is clear that what in binary distributions
12 > > is part of the development package (.la files, static libraries,
13 > > header files) is not desired at all. To break dependencies to only
14 > > strip away some of the headers seems to me a half solution that
15 > > breaks a lot and doesn't solve the problem either.
16 > >
17 > > Paul
18 >
19 > Btw embedded has already different way to archive the same result (ok,
20 > removing headers and static libs after isn't really the cleanest
21 > solution but works fine)
22
23 The hardest part is probably to build all these packages as the finals
24 shouldn't have headers while the intermediates (used to build other
25 finals against) should.
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze