From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reiserfs
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:32:25
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 14 May 2002 19:07:20 +0200
3 Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de> wrote:
6 > There are problems with those too. As said earlier (and Mark mentions
7 > it too) ext2 sucks :) I have no personal experience with JFS but the
8 > german computer magazine c't tested reiser, ext3, XFS and JFS lately
9 > and they had very serious stability problems with JFS. So it's
10 > basically ext3 against XFS. One is a very intrusive patch and the
11 > other is ext2 + journaling which is fine if you only need a journaling
12 > fs and don't care about other deficiencies of ext2.
13 >
14 For a while (1.0.1-1.0.5 or so) I was testing and packaging JFS for
15 redhat-derived systems, and it was snappy and nice, but the fsck tools
16 needed some serious work.. and although it worked nicely in most cases
17 (had some issues with rejects and all that crap) when the system well
18 crapped up and fscked, It worked... until the last time..... then things
19 didn't work. at all :p I lost directory contents on my /home (no biiig
20 loss since I had backups) and was generally fed up with the small (500
21 Meg) /home partition, so JFS died on my system then..
22
23 since that time its come further and I'm actually inclined on testing it
24 again, though Id need more harddrive space for that... (hint hint ;)
25
26 What I liked about JFS contra XFS was that it wasn't as intrusive as XFS
27 .. it was a "nice" patch that touched fewer files and modified less of
28 the kernel behaviour.
31 //Spider
34 begin .signature
35 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
37 end