From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reiserfs
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:07:24
1 On Tuesday 14 May 2002 17:39, Jean-Michel Smith wrote:
2 > Reiserfs is NOT ready for production use, and the gentoo FAQ is both wise
3 > and friendly for pointing that out and guiding people away from that
4 > particular folly.
5
6 If you have such experiences it's ok to say so _but_ you have to say why you
7 don't recommend reiserfs (or give a pointer to some place where your thesis
8 is backed). I've not had any bad experience with ext2 on my workstation at
9 home so I'd say it's ok but at work on the latop after one crash I had to do
10 a fsck'ing long fsck which then aborted and let me run the whole damn thing
11 again manually. So after that I'd say ext2 sucks. But that may not be
12 apparent to someone else who has only had good exp like I had at home. So he
13 won't believe me if all I say is "ext2 sucks dont use it it's unstable"
14
15 > There are plenty of other, much safer filesystems to use, including XFS (if
16 > you don't need bleeding edge experimental features, e.g. can be happy with
17 > stock 2.4.18 kernel + xfs patches), JFS, ext3, ext2 (no journalling), and
18 > so forth.
19
20 There are problems with those too. As said earlier (and Mark mentions it too)
21 ext2 sucks :) I have no personal experience with JFS but the german computer
22 magazine c't tested reiser, ext3, XFS and JFS lately and they had very
23 serious stability problems with JFS. So it's basically ext3 against XFS. One
24 is a very intrusive patch and the other is ext2 + journaling which is fine if
25 you only need a journaling fs and don't care about other deficiencies of
26 ext2.
27
28 > That having been said, there is a plethora of hard evidence as well as
29 > anectdotal experiences to learn from, and to indicate that reiser really
30 > isn't a safe choice to be making. This is reflected in the gentoo
31 > installation documentation, IMHO exactly as it should be.
32
33 As said earlier, it's ok to tell the people that reiser is not stable in your
34 opinion, but tell them _why_! That's my whole point, nothing about being
35 emotionally attached to reiser (tho I use it and am happy, but I also use XFS
36 and am happy)
39 Alex
42 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
43 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
44 Benjamin Franklin