From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reiserfs
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:49:18
1 Alexander Gretencord [arutha@×××.de] wrote:
2 > As said earlier, it's ok to tell the people that reiser is not stable in your
3 > opinion, but tell them _why_! That's my whole point, nothing about being
4 > emotionally attached to reiser (tho I use it and am happy, but I also use XFS
5 > and am happy)
6
7 Just as a point of interest, I'm not attached to it either. I'm currently
8 using XFS on my laptop, as I tend to keep a standard enough kernel there
9 that I can manage any conflicts that do come up. I've not really had time
10 to research JFS.
11
12 In general, I don't think it's necessary to warn people about using it. If
13 someone is interested in using a filesystem it's their responsibility to
14 read about it first and make an educated decision. It's not the place of a
15 few people to tell you what you shouldn't run, with the exception of proper
16 labelling of experimental software. Giving links to more information about
17 a filesystem is one thing, warning them away from using it seems to me a
18 bad idea.
19
20 Unless of course you are shooting for the "Stupid User" segment of the
21 population. However, I think there are more than enough distributions to
22 covering that already.