From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reiserfs
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 17:52:27
1 Mandrake also push reiserfs and the bad experiances seem to have been
2 few and far between (in the early days it was /boot install issues and
3 unfamiliarity with a new FS). Personally, in approx two years I have
4 had one minor corruption of one directory (improper shutdown when power
5 went in an electrical storm), but have lost two WHOLE ext2 systems in
6 that time, besides odd data files when power is unexpectedly lost.
7
8 The question came up on a local lug as well, with reiserfs and ext3
9 seeming to be the top choices, and from memory xfs seemed to be bagged
10 (cant remember why - something to do with the linux implementation?).
11
12 Reiserfs did get some bad press in the early days, and I think that may
13 be a hangover that effects peoples thinking. I think this is a case of
14 YMMV, and as far as I am concerned, gentoo is the odd one out by not
15 reccomending reiserfs, and because there seems to be little
16 documentation to back it up its point of view, but a fair bit of
17 experiance saying reiserfs is reasonably stable. There is also the
18 possibility that the problem is gentoo's implementation of reiser (that
19 is, other distro's patch it for some known problems).
20
21 Note that I dont regard any FS as "totally stable", but from experiance
22 and reccomendations, reiserfs and ext3 seem to near the top,
23 particularly if you NEED the protection journalling offers. Its only
24 when I joined this list that I have come across people reccomending xfs.
25
26 BillK
27