From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 07:28:50
1 On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 11:08:07PM -0800, Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 >
3 > > On 3 March 2010 19:45, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > I don't believe we should selectively cripple one GUI toolkit with not
5 > > > having proper printing support out of the box on a desktop profile,
6 > > > while others do, just because maintainers are lazy.
7 > >
8 > > It is not something that is necessary for running a
9 > > desktop system.
10 >
11 > Your logic is very thin here. By that same line of reasoning, neither are the gtk or qt flags, since you don't need 'em if you're building, say, a *box desktop.
12 >
13 > Printing is something I'd argue is part of a desktop environment. It's very much a graphical activity, and that's what a desktop is. We've had the Printing Guide in our Desktop Documentation Resources section for years for that very reason.
14 >
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=desktop
18 Isn't the split of the desktop profile, into KDE and gnome profiles, whilst leaving a base Desktop profile, exactly meant for the purpose that if you're not building KDE/Gnome, then you don't need to set the qt flags, unless some application needs it, or you find that you'd prefer to have them set system-wide?
22 Zeerak Waseem