From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 07:08:20
1 > On 3 March 2010 19:45, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
2 > > I don't believe we should selectively cripple one GUI toolkit with not
3 > > having proper printing support out of the box on a desktop profile,
4 > > while others do, just because maintainers are lazy.
5 >
6 > It is not something that is necessary for running a
7 > desktop system.
8
9 Your logic is very thin here. By that same line of reasoning, neither are the gtk or qt flags, since you don't need 'em if you're building, say, a *box desktop.
10
11 Printing is something I'd argue is part of a desktop environment. It's very much a graphical activity, and that's what a desktop is. We've had the Printing Guide in our Desktop Documentation Resources section for years for that very reason.
12
13 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=desktop