From: "Dawid Węgliński" <cla@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 06:57:18
1 On Wednesday 03 March 2010 22:51:10 Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 3 March 2010 19:45, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I don't believe we should selectively cripple one GUI toolkit with not
4 > > having proper printing support out of the box on a desktop profile,
5 > > while others do, just because maintainers are lazy.
6 >
7 > I'm not talking about selectively disabling cups. My proposal is
8 > to no longer enable the cups useflag in the base profile. I don't
9 > think cups should be part of the base profile, and as a result
10 > cascading to the desktop profile. And a lot of people seem to
11 > agree. Users can always enable that functionality when they
12 > need it. It is not something that is necessary for running a
13 > desktop system.
14 >
15 > Cheers,
16
17 How is that going to fix circular dependency problem? What will you do if every
18 user add cups to USE in make.conf? Say "we don't support cups turned on by
19 default"? I hope no. Removing this flag from profile will not fix any problem but
20 hide it.
23 Cheers
24 Dawid Węgliński