From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:50:49
1 2010/3/4 Dawid Węgliński <cla@g.o>:
2 > On Wednesday 03 March 2010 22:51:10 Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >> I'm not talking about selectively disabling cups. My proposal is
4 >> to no longer enable the cups useflag in the base profile.
5 >
6 > How is that going to fix circular dependency problem? What will you do if every
7 > user add cups to USE in make.conf? Say "we don't support cups turned on by
8 > default"? I hope no. Removing this flag from profile will not fix any problem but
9 > hide it.
10
11 It will fix the "out of the box" circular dependency for people who
12 switch to a default desktop profile. This is the main problem we
13 need to solve now. Certain useflag and package combinations
14 will trigger a circular dep, that is a know occurrence in Gentoo.
15 But at least with a default configuration things should work out of
16 the box. For other configurations there are workarounds (in this
17 case: install gtk+ without cups, or poppler without cairo enabled
18 first).
19
20 Cheers,
21 --
22 Ben de Groot
23 Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)