From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] manpages that requires dependencies
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:15:32
1 On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 00:48 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Monday 28 November 2005 00:05, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > 3) FEATURES="noman" is dropped in favour of USE="man" or USE="manpages"
4 > >
5 > > In light of the above requirements and the fact that dyn_* will likely be
6 > > moved into the tree down the track, #3 seems to be the best in my mind.
7 > > Similarly, it would solve the previously discussed problems related to
8 > > FEATURES="test".
9 >
10 > I'd be very interested in people's thoughts on this. The more I think about
11 > it, the more I think it's the most appropriate solution. Nothing in
12 > FEATURES="noman nodoc noinfo test" affects portage whatsoever other than
13 > "noinfo" which (only recently) prevents emerge from regenerating info
14 > indexes. That one could be handled by a hook (although not yet available) and
15 > the rest could easily be switched to USE flags.
16 >
17 > Anybody see any flaws? Anybody want (shudders) a GLEP?
18
19 USE=(man|info|doc) wont quite work.
20 While they could have an advantage that you can use them to control
21 depend strings the doc use flag has already been heavily used for other
22 things which everybody surely wont want. by default only level of
23 profiles should be using these features and it uses it because it needs
24 it or things fail to build. I could bore you with how sandbox and groff
25 don't get along and this functionality is a must.
26
27 I don't see any immediate benefits in removal so I'd rather we put off
28 discussions of the removal of those 3 features till we are closer to the
29 2006.0 release cycle. portage-2.0.5(4|5) days. Unless you want to
30 discuss SpanKY idea of use expanding FEATURES which clearly seems the
31 winner in desired functionality (my eyes anyway)
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list