From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Usage of cp -i to prevent overwriting upstream files
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 23:40:25
1 On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 23:50:47 +0100
2 Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
5 > > 'cp -i' will at least ask a question, and I find that marginally better
6 > > --- it's confusing, but at least it says something. But it seems to me
7 > > that if we hit this case, no one (including the package owner) knows
8 > > which .xml file to use, so stopping the build makes sense, but do it
9 > > with some message that explains exactly what is going on.
10 >
11 > The problem is that the whole build won't *abort*, but rather become
12 > interactive.
13 >
14 > I for one think that having it die (in the unlikely case that s
15 > developer made a mistake) is better than letting it hang indefinitely
16 > (in the unlikely case that a developer made a mistake) :).
17
18 That's what I meant by "stopping the build". My concern is that when
19 we do stop the build, we do it with some useful error message and make
20 it clear that the user did not screw up and so should do something to
21 fix it. ("die file exists" looks to me like an attempt to ask the user
22 to fix something, not an ebuild problem.)
23
24 As I think about it, I am not sure how this could happen. It would
25 either be an ebuild that the package owner never tried or a change in
26 the source file. And why wouldn't a change in the source file cause an
27 immediate termination because the length would suddenly be wrong? And
28 if the now-upstream-supplied build.xml file is different from the one
29 the developer put together, wouldn't you probably want a revision bump
30 at that point?
31 > Think about
32 > insane users setting up cronjobs and what not...
33 >
34 > Cheers,
35 > -jkt
36 >
37 > --
38 > cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
39 >
40 Clearly, I misspoke when I said I'd not respond further. :)
41
42 Regards,
43 Ferris
44 --
45 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
46 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)