From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Usage of cp -i to prevent overwriting upstream files
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:50:56
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 > 'cp -i' will at least ask a question, and I find that marginally better
3 > --- it's confusing, but at least it says something. But it seems to me
4 > that if we hit this case, no one (including the package owner) knows
5 > which .xml file to use, so stopping the build makes sense, but do it
6 > with some message that explains exactly what is going on.
7
8 The problem is that the whole build won't *abort*, but rather become
9 interactive.
10
11 I for one think that having it die (in the unlikely case that s
12 developer made a mistake) is better than letting it hang indefinitely
13 (in the unlikely case that a developer made a mistake) :). Think about
14 insane users setting up cronjobs and what not...
15
16 Cheers,
17 -jkt
20 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth