From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init script optimizations?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:48:01
1 On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Jason Rhinelander wrote:
2 > Roman Gaufman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hey, I came across this page on the forum:
5 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=231170 -- looking
6 >> specifically at the init.d script modifications. What do you think?
7 ...
8 >
9 > Also, don't forget to add a big ASCII-art logo during the bootup -
10 > preferrably one with flames in the image, or perhaps one that says
11 > "Type-R". It definitely makes Honda Civics go faster, so why not a
12 > Gentoo bootup?
13
14 Agreed. I cannot stress this enough.
15
16 ...
17 > Sure, set RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP if you want; I turned it on, but I can't
18 > say I saw any noticable difference - I _did_ notice some things starting
19 > in parallel, but the overall startup didn't seem any faster. But, if
20 > stickers on your Honda Civic make you feel faster...
21
22 I suspect this would mainly be noticable on multiprocessor systems.
23
24 However, as a general rule, I'd think the difference would be negligable
25 in most cases. Most of the startup scripts that come to mind that take
26 a noticable amount of time to start are dependancies for other startup
27 scripts, and they're all I/O bound, rather than CPU bound.
28
29 Note that RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP does potentially expose more timing
30 issues. I think its main benefit would be assisting in exposing missing
31 dependancies; startup scripts which lacked one of their dependancies
32 would never work, rather than working sometimes. However, it could
33 introduce other flakiness, which would be harder to track down. (All of
34 the cases of this that I can think of fall under the scope of 'problems
35 "fixed" the wrong way'.)
36
37 Ed
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list