From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init script optimizations?
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:15:06
1 Roman Gaufman wrote:
2
3 > Hey, I came across this page on the forum:
4 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=231170 -- looking
5 > specifically at the init.d script modifications. What do you think?
6 >
7 > Seems like pretty safe modification, but make very noticeable speed up
8 > in system startup. Maybe these changes should be made in the next
9 > baselayout update?
12 Also, don't forget to add a big ASCII-art logo during the bootup -
13 preferrably one with flames in the image, or perhaps one that says
14 "Type-R". It definitely makes Honda Civics go faster, so why not a
15 Gentoo bootup?
18 Now, in all seriousness, none of the modifications (save the
19 RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP setting) are safe:
20
21 > /etc/init.d/modules
22 > /etc/init.d/bootmisc
23
24 The changes suggested here would cause problems, because it _is_
25 possible for files to have changed inside the directory without the
26 directory mtime having changed. If you want an example, try: echo ""
27 >>existingfile into one of your modules.d/ files and watch the
28 modules.d time not change.
29
30 > /etc/init.d/localmount
31
32 As someone already pointed out, this can easily break with mount points
33 inside other mount points.
34
35 > /etc/conf.d/rc
36
37 Sure, set RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP if you want; I turned it on, but I can't
38 say I saw any noticable difference - I _did_ notice some things starting
39 in parallel, but the overall startup didn't seem any faster. But, if
40 stickers on your Honda Civic make you feel faster...
41
42 -- Jason Rhinelander
43 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list