From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-office/lyx: lyx-2.0.5.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 05:37:52
1 Patrick Lauer posted on Fri, 23 Nov 2012 12:45:56 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 11/20/12 21:57, Alexis Ballier wrote:
4 >> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:10:51 +0000 (UTC)
5 >> "Patrick Lauer (patrick)" <patrick@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> patrick 12/11/16 09:10:51
8 >>>
9 >>> Modified: ChangeLog
10 >>> Added: lyx-2.0.5.ebuild
11 >>> Log: Bump
12 >>>
13 >> While the bump was fine, please read the damn metadata.xml when you
14 >> touch a package you're not used to. Pavel has been doing a very good
15 >> job in (proxy) maintaining lyx since years and you do not seem to have
16 >> contacted him before doing the bump, which is a bit disrespectful for
17 >> him IMHO.
18 >
19 > I disagree. A fix is a fix, a bump is a bump, no ego involved.
20 >
21 >> If you want to help in having things done quicker because I'm not
22 >> always responsive enough, then please do it correctly and ask Pavel to
23 >> CC you when he sends me instructions for lyx.
24 > I dislike this territorialism. Why add a single point of failure to
25 > package maintenance? (What if you or Pavel "disappear" for any reason?)
26
27 Reasonable points on both sides.
28
29 At minimum a note to the maintainers (both proxy and non-gentoo-dev)
30 would have been nice. A wait of say two (work) days minimum (a full
31 week's probably reasonable on most packages) for a reply would have been
32 a courtesy as well, given the maintainer may be aware of issues with the
33 new version that need worked out.
34
35 OTOH, I get as antsy as anyone when I see a new version out, yet not in-
36 tree (or even in the testing overlay when there is one) even masked.[1]
37 If there's no reply in a few days, then yes, I'd say go ahead and non-
38 maintainer-bump.
39
40 ---
41 [1] I've bumped firefox to 17 here locally, as it's not even in the
42 overlay yet, and 16.0.2 wasn't letting me in to my bank any longer,
43 probably due to a rebuild needed. I figured I might as well try the new
44 version since it's out instead of just rebuilding the old one only to
45 have to build the new one in a day or two, but I had to bump locally and
46 fix up one line on a gentoo patch to do it. Yes, I'm antsy, but not
47 complaining altho firefox is a high enough priority and high exposure app
48 with security issues fixed, so much longer and I COULD be, but I'm just
49 using it as an illustration here. (IOW, FF is an app where I'd say
50 closer to that two day minimum, even if for most apps I'd say a week.
51 But of course it's also a complicated app, with gentoo often carrying a
52 number of patches, so a bit of delay could be understandable... but I'd
53 still like to see it in the mozilla overlay at least, even if it's not
54 considered ready for the tree, even masked. That's the reason I /have/
55 that overlay setup in layman, after all!)
60 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman