From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: what happened to /etc/init.d/hal{d,daemon,whatever} script ?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:56:54
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > Andrey Grozin wrote:
3 >> It was discussed (don't have a reference to the thread at
4 >> hand) that it would be useful to have a table which shows which
5 >> functions die by themselves, and which not.
6 >>
7 >> Andrey
10 > I see this asked every X months and never quite figured out why, (this
11 > isn't personal against you, Andrey)
12 [...]
13 > Take a look for yourself and you will see why there has never been a
14 > "table" or anything created. (it is trivial - and you have the source on
15 > your computer already)
16
17 It shouldn't be necessary to grep the source, if these things would
18 follow a simple logical rule, in accordance with the principle of least
19 surprise. It would be handy to be able to say: all e* functions die, but
20 do* and new* do not. But tommy's list shows that emake is an exception
21 to the rule. I'm not aware of any other exceptions, but I can't be sure
22 unless I go digging through the source. Which really should not be
23 necessary, in my opinion.
26 Ben de Groot
27 Gentoo Linux developer (lxde, media, qt, desktop-misc)
28 Gentoo Linux Release Engineering PR liaison
30
31 yngwin@g.o
32 http://ben.liveforge.org/
33 irc://chat.freenode.net/#gentoo-media
34 irc://irc.oftc.net/#lxde