From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: patrick@g.o, blueness@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 18:09:12
1 On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 03:59:35PM +0000, hasufell wrote:
2
3 *snip*
4
5 > Despite that... the answer is already here:
6 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/filesystem/index.html
7 >
8 > > Gentoo does not consider the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard to be an
9 > > authoritative standard, although much of our policy coincides with
10 > > it.
11 >
12 > So this is not really something the council has to decide on, unless
13 > you propose to change that policy altogether.
14
15 Agreed.
16
17 Gentoo has never considered the fhs to be authoritative. It is a guide.
18 If we can follow it we do, if we can't we don't. There is nothing to
19 change here unless you are asking that we make fhs authoritative, which
20 I would be firmly against.
21
22 Regarding the comments blueness made on -project about the /->/usr merge
23 violating fhs, I have spoken with vapier about this myself on several
24 occasions, and his position is exactly the opposite; it does not violate
25 fhs.
26
27 You might also want to read this article on osnews about why the split
28 happened; there is definitely interesting information here [1]. The
29 reason the split happened is pretty straight forward, and every other
30 "justification" for continuing it was come up with after the fact.
31
32 William
33
34 [1]