From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 21:57:31
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > The reason the split happened is pretty straight forward, and every other
3 > "justification" for continuing it was come up with after the fact.
4
5 I keep hearing this, but I really don't see how it's relevant. I'm sure
6 you'll find lots of things in your life that you use for some purpose
7 other than what they were originally invented for¹, and there's no
8 reason why /usr should be any different. All that matters is whether or
9 not the newer reasons for having separate /usr actually provide a benefit.
10
11 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola#19th_century_historical_origins