From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 00:03:17
1 On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:57:15PM +0000, David Leverton wrote:
2 > William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > The reason the split happened is pretty straight forward, and every other
4 > > "justification" for continuing it was come up with after the fact.
5 >
6 > I keep hearing this, but I really don't see how it's relevant. I'm sure
7 > you'll find lots of things in your life that you use for some purpose
8 > other than what they were originally invented for¹, and there's no
9 > reason why /usr should be any different. All that matters is whether or
10 > not the newer reasons for having separate /usr actually provide a benefit.
11
12 And I would argue that the maintenance cost of having separate /usr in a
13 general sense is much higher than the benefit it provides.
14
15 The problem with it is that it is next to impossible nowadays to define
16 what should go in / vs what should go in /usr.
17
18 William