From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 00:18:09
1 On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 2:03 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:57:15PM +0000, David Leverton wrote:
4 > > William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > > The reason the split happened is pretty straight forward, and every other
6 > > > "justification" for continuing it was come up with after the fact.
7 > >
8 > > I keep hearing this, but I really don't see how it's relevant. I'm sure
9 > > you'll find lots of things in your life that you use for some purpose
10 > > other than what they were originally invented forĀ¹, and there's no
11 > > reason why /usr should be any different. All that matters is whether or
12 > > not the newer reasons for having separate /usr actually provide a benefit.
13 >
14 > And I would argue that the maintenance cost of having separate /usr in a
15 > general sense is much higher than the benefit it provides.
16 >
17 > The problem with it is that it is next to impossible nowadays to define
18 > what should go in / vs what should go in /usr.
19 >
20 > William
21
22 Now it is difficult as too much time it was ignored.
23
24 In the past it was quite simple, everything that requires a server to
25 reach default runlevel.
26
27 The problem is that instead of telling users: "If you are using
28 special user mode devices, such as bluetooth keyboards, please make
29 sure /usr is mounted at boot", we enforce all that configuration, so
30 now initramfs should contain all that once was / with much harder
31 maintenance.
32
33 Alon