From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] macos mess
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:34:28
1 Pieter Van den Abeele said:
2 > The reasoning behind both:
3 >
4 > - app-macos contains apps that do not depend on anything but a regular
5 > mac os x system. A good example of such an app is the GPL'ed OS X
6 > Desktop Manager which implements virtual desktops on OS X.
7 > http://wsmanager.sourceforge.net/index.php Most of the time these
8 > packages are Mac OS X only, open source and don't fit any other
9 > category.
10
11 I have a tough time believing there are any applications with functions
12 written in languages that cannot be functionally or linguistically
13 classified. The architecture/OS on which a program runs shouldn't be a
14 basis for a category.
15
16 > - sys-darwin contains ebuilds for software that is very very darwin
17 > (mostly kerneldriver) specific. I was thinking of things like (just a
18 > quick cut/paste):
19
20 Same point as above.
21
22 > I created both empty directories a week or two ago, because I figured
23 > if somebody didn't like them he would bring them up on the ml and have
24 > them renamed to something even better if needed. At the time I thought
25 > they were kosher. Nothing to have nightmares about. (I hope)
26 > Suggestions welcome of course.
27
28 I'm glad to hear it's open for discussion, but in the future, could you do
29 the discussion before rather than after the action? We shouldn't be
30 expected to go wandering around, looking for new directories, code or
31 whatever.
32
33 Thanks,
34 Donnie