From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New GLEP: file installation masks
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 08:02:06
1 Dnia 8 czerwca 2016 09:17:06 CEST, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 07:26:21 +0200
5 >> Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 >>> Therefore I think that repository metadata is the wrong place for
8 >>> storing the install-mask.conf file. It is configuration, specific to
9 >>> Portage (but not to the repository), so /usr/share/portage/config/
10 >>> would be a better location to store it.
11 >
12 >> ...which would mean we have to re-release Portage every time it
13 >> changes, which in turn means we can't do anything without having
14 >> shout at users to upgrade Portage, and upgrade, and upgrade...
15 >
16 >> systemd uses new path? Upgrade Portage. We support a new
17 >> localization? Upgrade Portage. We failed horribly and your system
18 >> no longer boots? Upgrade Portage.
19 >
20 >Even now not all files in /usr/share/portage/config/ are owned by
21 >sys-apps/portage. So if you expect path groups to change such
22 >frequently, create a subdirectory install-mask/ (similar to sets/)
23 >there and have packages install their configuration files in it.
24 >
25 >Alternatively, one could think about placing the path groups file in
26 >profiles/ which would still be better than repository metadata which
27 >looks totally wrong to me.
28
29 I though the goal was to rid profiles/ of files other than profiles.
30
31 I can change the GLEP to have paths apply with masters logic if you want. That shouldn't cause much trouble, considering that the mask is evaluated per package anyway.
34 >Another question, how are path groups supposed to work in Prefix?
35 >The GLEP doesn't address this.
36
37 Hmm... I would say the obvious solution is to apply the paths relatively to EPREFIX, wouldn't it?
40 >Ulrich
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny (by phone)