From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and subproject status
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:44:01
1 On 11-01-2008 21:52:08 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > - sort out the 64-bits targets with their multilib-hell forced upon us
4 >
5 > dont know exactly what you're referring to, but multilib is completely
6 > optional.
7
8 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.alt/3329
9
10 In short: gcc inserts 64-bits library paths which causes the linker
11 first to look inside the host dirs, then in my prefix lib dirs, which
12 creates interesting problems, since the runtime linker gets our runpath
13 directions to look in the prefix lib dirs first. Anyway, it makes
14 linking/runtime fail in cases where the host provided libs are
15 incompatible with the prefix provided ones.
16
17 Added to that that when I implemented the ldwrapper on amd64 (fedora)
18 linux I didn't fully understand the full multilib picture, some
19 decisions I made there now just feel plain wrong, especially given that
20 each distro seems to implement the multilib thing different (Gentoo:
21 /lib = native bits size, Fedora: /lib = 32-bits, Debian ...).
22 I didn't get it fully right in my post above though, because every
23 distro/os has a kernel configured in such a way that for a 64-bits
24 object, the search path points to the 64-bits host-specific lib paths.
25 So it seems that only binutils doesn't want to know about 64-bits
26 host-specific lib paths, and gcc takes actions to compensate that.
27
28 Thanks.
31 Fabian Groffen
32 Gentoo on a different level