From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and subproject status
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:29:30
1 On Saturday 12 January 2008, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 11-01-2008 21:52:08 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 > > > - sort out the 64-bits targets with their multilib-hell forced upon us
5 > >
6 > > dont know exactly what you're referring to, but multilib is completely
7 > > optional.
8 >
9 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.alt/3329
10
11 sorry, when i first read the multilib-hell, i assumed you meant the Gentoo
12 pieces rather than the binutils/gcc pieces.
13
14 i could post some corrections to the piece there, but in the end, they wouldnt
15 get you to a final working solution.
16
17 > Added to that that when I implemented the ldwrapper on amd64 (fedora)
18 > linux I didn't fully understand the full multilib picture, some
19 > decisions I made there now just feel plain wrong, especially given that
20 > each distro seems to implement the multilib thing different (Gentoo:
21 > /lib = native bits size, Fedora: /lib = 32-bits, Debian ...).
22 > I didn't get it fully right in my post above though, because every
23 > distro/os has a kernel configured in such a way that for a 64-bits
24 > object, the search path points to the 64-bits host-specific lib paths.
25 > So it seems that only binutils doesn't want to know about 64-bits
26 > host-specific lib paths, and gcc takes actions to compensate that.
27
28 i dont know why you keep saying "kernel" over and over when the kernel plays
29 no role here whatsoever. if you want to keep things sane, i would say just
30 follow the tool convention and any/all distro conventions be damned.
31
32 longer term, i'm really not familiar with how the prefix stuff is architected,
33 so i cant give much guidance unless i sat down and learned it.
34 -mike