From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: steev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 21:56:31
1 On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:29:02 -0600
2 Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 20:29 +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 12:10:30 -0600
6 > > Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > The problem isn't finding someone that has everything - we have
9 > > > people that test on ARMv5, some that test on ARMv6, we have some
10 > > > that test on ARMv7 - until ALL of them are tested, it doesn't get
11 > > > stabled on ARM. So again, it just shuffles around the work, and
12 > > > does nothing to address the actual problem which is manpower with
13 > > > people that have the slower machines to finish their testing.
14 > > > Unless you would like to suggest that we maybe just say fuck
15 > > > anyone using a slow machine?
16 > >
17 > > Consider how packages would rarely get stabilized if we had to wait
18 > > for all arches to test them first before adding any stable keyword
19 > > at all.
22 > Theoretical, again, as always, and not even worth considering because
23 > it doesn't reflect reality.
24
25 We are talking about reality here, while expanding it on a larger scale;
26 as to make it more clear how that wouldn't work out well in reality.
27
28 > > Organize first, then get more manpower; otherwise we say the F-word
29 > > to everyone with a faster machine. Joining arm with a slower
30 > > configuration and have everyone waiting on you is a working
31 > > condition to avoid; so, we could have the slower configuration
32 > > stabilize at its own pace.
33 > >
34 > > Would we say F-word to 'em? No, we give them better working
35 > > conditions.
38 > We're all adults here, you can say fuck.
39
40 What about better working conditions?
41
42 > For the record, the ARM team does just fine in stabling things in a
43 > reasonable amount of time, so no, we aren't going to change our
44 > working methods.
45
46 That is a contradiction with what you have said earlier.
47
48 So, is there an ACTUAL problem with the ARM team or not?
49
50 In context, you have demonstrated a result of that problem here:
51
52 @steev | and then you end up with stuff like git is broken on armv7
53 uclibc
54 @TomWij | steev: Better to know that than to know that it is broken on
55 arm uclibc.
56 @steev | TomWij: it was known that it's broken, it was stabled anyway,
57 which makes it worse
58 @steev | because i commented and said DO NOT STABLE IT
59
60 > The point of this email thread was we all need to stable faster,
61
62 That is just a deduction from your point of view; as stated before,
63 that's a possible deduction you can easily make now. But, deducing it
64 every time without guaranteeing that the arch teams improve can lead
65 to it worsening over time; which is something we need to look out for.
66
67 > and slower arches need to just become unstable only,
68
69 What about slower configurations keeping up slower arches?
70
71 > and fuck them. And I'm saying everyone needs to step back because
72 > stabling things faster and faster doesn't allow for proper testing.
73 >
74 > As QA, you should be focusing on making stable, actually stable, not
75 > more bleeding edge.
76
77 That's the task of the mentors, recruiters and the arch teams; the QA
78 team is there to ensure quality, not performance. If performance limits
79 us from stabilizing everything we want to see stabilized properly, that
80 means that there is simply a lack of interest; then this thread as well
81 as QA comes in to reorganize our efforts as well as policy to be more
82 efficient and effective.
83
84 The delays that can be witnessed in the actual problem you have brought
85 forward is one example of what can be reorganized to not delay
86 stabilization; another example of what I am working towards is to try
87 to get more people by making our documents for new developers more
88 accessible, some examples:
89
90 - Revised
91 https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Contributing_to_Gentoo&oldid=11534
93 https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Contributing_to_Gentoo&oldid=83101
94
95 - Added reference in the devmanual to the developer handbook:
96 https://github.com/gentoo/devmanual.gentoo.org/commit/ced738e2cf213f7001a4f39cd561983f71631582
97
98 - Start a guide that introduces how to write an ebuild from scratch:
99 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Basic_guide_to_write_Gentoo_Ebuilds
100
101 Yes, QA is doing something about that. To take this whole thread a step
102 further, it is proposed as an agenda topic for the first QA meeting.
103
104 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Meeting_Agenda
107 With kind regards,
108
109 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
110 Gentoo Developer
111
112 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
113 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
114 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D