From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:45:53
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 >> If you have / encrypted, then you can leave /usr unencrypted as it
3 >> contains no secrets.
4 >
5 > That's doing things upside-down. You should encrypt the data needing
6 > encryption, not the other way. This usually means /home which is
7 > separate more often than /usr.
8
9 That is precisely what is done here. On a typical system I assume that
10 secrets can be in /etc, /home and /var. Encrypting /usr might not give
11 you a security gain and just consume resources.
12
13 >> Also /usr can remain mounted read-only most of the time, so there is
14 >> a reduced chance of accidental corruption. I don't know the number of
15 >> users who might want this, and I imagine it is difficult to count
16 >> them.
17 >
18 > Is this actually possible now? Last time I tried doing things like this
19 > X11 failed to set keyboard mappings trying to store compiled ones
20 > in /usr.
21
22 I have not seen any machine running X have read-only /usr yet. Maybe it
23 is something that could be investigated. If I have time, I'll experiment
24 what happens when I do a read-only bind-mount of /usr on itself.
25
26 >> If you say that /usr must be on the same filesystem as /, then there
27 >> is no real reason to not just make a symlink /usr -> .
28 >
29 > That's a joke, right?
30
31 There are folks who seriously take this into consideration. I don't
32 necessarily agree with them, though.
35 Best regards,
36 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn