From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: chithanh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:50:16
1 On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:28:54 +0200
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Samuli Suominen schrieb:
5 > >
6 > > Someone mentioned NFS mount on /usr. Do we have other reasons? How
7 > > many users that might be?
8 >
9 > If you have / encrypted, then you can leave /usr unencrypted as it
10 > contains no secrets.
11
12 That's doing things upside-down. You should encrypt the data needing
13 encryption, not the other way. This usually means /home which is
14 separate more often than /usr.
15
16 > Also /usr can remain mounted read-only most of the time, so there is
17 > a reduced chance of accidental corruption. I don't know the number of
18 > users who might want this, and I imagine it is difficult to count
19 > them.
20
21 Is this actually possible now? Last time I tried doing things like this
22 X11 failed to set keyboard mappings trying to store compiled ones
23 in /usr.
24
25 > > I dislike the idea of moving libglib-2.0, libdbus-1,
26 > > libdbus-glib-1, and couple of dozen more libs to /
27 >
28 > If you say that /usr must be on the same filesystem as /, then there
29 > is no real reason to not just make a symlink /usr -> .
30
31 That's a joke, right?
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny