From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 08:16:39
1 On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 2:06 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 09/07/14 07:24, Tom Wijsman wrote:
4 >>> [...] confusions with newer people...
5 >> Ironically; my first Portage tree action "add a directory" got a "don't
6 >> throw [expletive] into [games category]" reply, before adding the ebuild.
7 >>
8 >> One really can't expect new people to start to address a team like
9 >> that prior to addition; I've assumed for some time that contacting the
10 >> teams is a necessity before addition of an ebuild, but that quickly
11 >> turned out to be false for most if not all other teams.
14 > Well, I consider gnome-base/ to be gnome@g.o's "territory" in sense that
15 > I'd contact the team prior to adding a ebuild there
16 > Likewise I consider both, xfce-base/ and xfce-extra/ as well as anything
17 > with xfce@g.o in metadata.xml to be xfce@g.o's "territory" in sense that
18 > I'd be slightly annoyed if someone adds/modifies/... an Xfce ebuild without
19 > consulting me (or angelos). But, if it's done properly, like hasufell added
20 > properly added xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin to xfce-extra/, I'll stay quiet,
21 > because it wouldn't achieve anything to complain about something you
22 > would have added _exactly_ the same way line-by-line
23 > Likewise I consider kde-base/ to be kde@g.o's "territory"
24
25 If we were talking about a core games-base set of libs that lots of
26 games depended on I think most would see the analogy here.
27
28 However, anybody can maintain a random package that uses libkde
29 without any kind of blessing from the KDE team, and they don't have to
30 stick it in a kde category. These teams don't claim ownership of
31 entire genres of applications. They're taking care of the core
32 desktop environment because something like KDE could really be viewed
33 as one gigantic package that is modularly installable - historically
34 it wasn't even modular at all. If there is some app that installs a
35 plasma widget that isn't bundled with the KDE project, why shouldn't
36 any maintainer be able to install it? It would behoove them to follow
37 the KDE guidelines mainly so that they don't have to fix their package
38 the next time there is a KDE bump. Likewise you probably don't need
39 to twist arms to get people to use the systemd eclass to install unit
40 files since it just makes your life easier - they systemd team won't
41 rename your package if it installs a unit and they don't like the
42 category you chose.
43
44 Games is a bit different in that we basically have policies that apply
45 to a genre of applications. A policy for packages that use SDL
46 designed around the technical requirements of maintaining SDL makes
47 more sense than general policies around packages that are "fun." Heck
48 - you'd be hard-pressed to come up with an objective definition for
49 what is and isn't a game in the first place, which is why you have
50 stuff like "fortune" in the games category. Oddly enough you don't
51 have to be in the games group to run it.
52
53 Rich