From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:44:52
1 Hi foser,
2
3 >>isnt that situation something for -*? when i was ready for gcc 3.4 getting
4 >>much wider testing than just the very brave and curious i said so by marking
5 >>it ~amd64 (and then going into the ppc64 and mips channels to announce it to
6 >>those i thought would need to know. note that it isnt quite ready for general
7 >>use on x86 at all, which others seem to consider the high holy arch for
8 >>determining stability/usability... pffft).
11 > My initial email tried so hard to not make 'maintainer arch' the same as
12 > 'x86', then why do you bring that up as a focus point. It is this
13 > attitude (my arch vs yours) that makes it hard to get any healthy
14 > discussion going here.
15
16 You always talk about the "maintainer arch". With the exception of
17 packets that _are supposed_ to work only one special archs (yaboot or
18 milo comes to my mind), speaking of a "maintainer arch" is nonsense in
19 my eyes. 99% of all packages shall work on every arch, but they
20 naturally don't work equally well on them. Best example is (again; Lv
21 mentioned it already) gcc-3.4. [Please don't try to tell me there is a
22 maintainer arch for gcc !] gcc-3.4 is currently marked stable on amd64,
23 *but* is is hardmasked in case you haven't switched your profile over to
24 gcc34-amd64-2004.1, so no user who doesn't want to get's tampered with
25 gcc-3.4 problems. And you know what ? Our users rushed out to switch
26 profiles less than 5 minutes after Lv announced this solution on
27 #gentoo-amd64. Why ? They were not confident with the way gcc-3.3* works
28 on amd64. There are plenty of things gcc-3.3 lacks, starting with a
29 missing "-march=[k8, amd64]" up to severe miscompilation on all kind of
30 code when using "-Os" or "-O3".
33 >>when i knew that the binutils ebuilds were kinda wonky and not working right,
34 >>i ripped them out of ~arch and popped them into -*. when i made a mistake
35 >>with gcc and SSP, i had a new release out within minutes of figuring it out.
36 >>when i found out that glibc 2.3.4.20040605 was failing makecheck inside the
37 >>ebuild but succeeding outside of it, i marked it -* until i figured out
38 >>why... that glibc ebuild is now stable on ppc64 (pretty early... committed
39 >>june 05, stable june 12) and i'm pretty excited about that. it didnt go into
40 >>ppc64 stable while -*, and testing shows it fixes the segfaults that happen
41 >>on that arch. you'll have to ask tom gall, but it may be the first release to
42 >>pass "make check" on ppc64. :) using gcc 3.4 no less, with altivec fixes. :)
45 > -* means broken on all arches by definition. Sure it's a pretty good
46 > solution here for what you want to do, but it still is bending the
47 > rules.
48 >
49 > What i see from your developers tale here, is that you do your testing
50 > in the live tree. I mean serious.. messing libtool, gcc & glibc and
51 > being happy with that ? I'd say that stuff should've been done in
52 > package.mask, certainly not in ~arch. One used to get his cvs access
53 > rights under discussion after these kind of things.
54
55 amd64 is a moving target, it's a relative new arch that does not run w/o
56 any problems, but it runs really good for day to day work and there are
57 even people who use Gentoo/amd64 on production systems. Lv and many
58 others (including me) try to keep this arch stable and to improve things
59 in the best way we can. Honestly, I really get annoyed when you
60 critisise our efforts w/o any insight in our daily work. Your examples
61 libtool, gcc and glibc *ALL* had severe problems that _all_ improved
62 after switching to new versions, yes even by marking prereleases/cvs
63 snapshots and development versions _stable if necessary_.
64
65 >>and in other news, i got a bug for all arch maintainers to mark a version of
66 >>gaim stable that was stable on x86. i flatly refused, as the yahoo plugin
67 >>didnt work at all on 64bit archs (like the version i had in stable did)...
68 >>when it finally did work, i marked it stable. so much for x86 being a
69 >>measuring stick of any kind...
72 > Well, i assume the yahoo plugin worked on x86 at that point. 'x86' here
73 > being the 'maintainers arch' i assume, it was ready for going stable.
74 > Next 64bits arch weren't stable, so you did the right thing not marking
75 > it as such. 'x86' again is mentioned here, it's irrelevant which
76 > platform is the 'maintainers arch', don't get so hang up on x86. It is a
77 > measuring stick that the _ebuild_ & _package_ were tested at that time.
78 > I wonder if they even were aware of the 64bit platform problems, if so
79 > they should've probably pushed to 64 bit teams to mark it -<arch> for
80 > their respective platforms (known not to work). See, the 'maintainers
81 > arch' should know about _all_ problems with the packages. If you were
82 > aware of it & failed to inform them, then this is really your mistake
83 > showing.
86 "'the maintainer's arch' should know about _all_ problems with the
87 packages."... Well, okay... screw the whole gentoo structure, we only
88 need one releng-dev to build all arch-livecds and the package
89 maintainers... I hope you recognized my sarcasm. I really hope so.
90
91 > [snip]
92
93 > Your arguments tend to be emotional and really based on an arch vs arch
94 > attitude, not willing to take into account serious QA problems in your
95 > 'solutions'. See it in the bigger picture of Gentoo overall quality for
96 > once, not your shortsighted amd64 only vision.
97
98 On the contraty, in my point of view your arguments seem based on the
99 fear to break/to question hierarchical structures. And please don't call
100 Lv's vision "shortshighted amd64 only". He's been working to improve the
101 toolchains not only of amd64, but also from mips (with 3 ABIs) and
102 ppc64. You are continously trying to talk bad Lv's efforts. Last month
103 he did 111 commits, you did 50, this month he did 166 commits, you did
104 6. It's naturally that with more commits there sneak in more errors. In
105 my eyes, you should try to take up a bit of Lv's vision. His "vision" is
106 to improve Gentoo. Please don't call that "shortsighted" !
107
108 Foser: this *no battle* between amd64 and x86, and this is especially
109 *no crusade* against you (or the gnome-herd). But you try hard to let it
110 look that way.
114 IMHO the above comments had to be said, everything's been comments on
115 foser's statement. However, I'd like state something to the
116 "stabilization" process on my own, too. We urgently need a policy on
117 this, and i want to suggest a system where the ebuild maintainers as
118 well as the arch developers both get actively get involved.
119
120 1. The ebuild maintainers should have the possibility to say: "ARCHs,
121 feel free to mark stable. All major bugs that i know of are closed, only
122 arch dependent bugs are left."
123
124 2. The arch maintainers should ask the package maintainers first before
125 marking a package stable *before* the maintainer's approval. However,
126 there are package maintainers that aren't on IRC all the time/that check
127 their dev-mails regularly, but probably only once or twice a week. In
128 this case, arch maintainers should be allowed to just check bugs.g.o on
129 major bugs and mark stable if the arch decides so.
130
131 This is pretty much the way Donnie Berkholz proposed (Please correct me
132 if I'm wrong), and in my eyes it's the only way that makes sense.
136 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list