From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: kugelfang@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:34:15
1 Danny van Dyk said:
2 > 1. The ebuild maintainers should have the possibility to say: "ARCHs,
3 > feel free to mark stable. All major bugs that i know of are closed, only
4 > arch dependent bugs are left."
5
6 I definitely agree with this. Although there's no "official" mechanism for
7 this, perhaps there should be given the huge amounts of arguments that
8 have resulted from talking about it. Pending that, communication is all we
9 have to rely on, so we should at least rely on it rather than ignoring it.
10 The easiest way I can think of offhand from a package maintainer's POV is
11 a simple comment in the ebuild above the KEYWORDS line. Unfortunately some
12 people would never even see it if they're using ekeyword.
13
14 > 2. The arch maintainers should ask the package maintainers first before
15 > marking a package stable *before* the maintainer's approval. However,
16 > there are package maintainers that aren't on IRC all the time/that check
17 > their dev-mails regularly, but probably only once or twice a week. In
18 > this case, arch maintainers should be allowed to just check bugs.g.o on
19 > major bugs and mark stable if the arch decides so.
20 >
21 > This is pretty much the way Donnie Berkholz proposed (Please correct me
22 > if I'm wrong), and in my eyes it's the only way that makes sense.
23
24 If you think about this, it's pretty similar to our security policy. When
25 the security team has the ability to "overrule" the package maintainer
26 holds a good parallel with when the arch maintainer could do the same.
27 Perhaps we can learn from that.
28
29 (Security guys, is that policy on the Web anywhere? I couldn't find it on
30 a quick browse.)
31
32 Thanks,
33 Donnie