From: Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming LyX ebuild - design questions
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 05:32:22
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm about to post my LyX ebuild, which depends on the gv and Xaw3d ebuilds I
4 posted earlier.
5
6 There are however some design questions I'd like to clear up first:
7
8 LyX is a word processor based on LaTeX, a very good one IMHO. LyX can make
9 use of a great number of packages, but it can also do withuot them. Which of
10 the following package groups should the LyX ebuild depend on?
11
12 1. Absolutely necessary packages: x11 & gtk.
13 2. latex2e and a few other things, all of which are in tetex. Lyx can build
14 and run without these, but it'd be just a flashy text editor without any
15 output capabilities.
16 3. Important utilities like ghostscipt and gv, to use for viewing your output.
17 4. A _very_ large amount of third-party exporters, importers, converters and
18 viewers. Enables you to output in many formats etc.
19 5. A few misc tex packages like the one for Hebrew support (which I use) that
20 aren't included in tetex.
21
22 Which of these should the ebuild force (i.e. DEPEND on)?
23
24 An idea: building a lyx-base ebuild which only depends on x11/gtk and a lyx
25 ebuild which does nothing but depends on lyx-bsae, tetex and everything else.
26 Maybe with another in-between stage (i.e. a lyx-utils ebuild).
27
28 What do you think?
29
30 ----
31
32 Another issue: whould Lyx go into app-text (as a latex frontend) or into
33 app-office (as a word processor)?
34
35 ----
36
37 And finally: does anybody here except myself use LyX? Because I can't
38 understand how such a great distro cold live so long without this
39 all-important package. :-)
43 Dan