From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming LyX ebuild - design questions
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:57:03
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:29:49PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
2
3 > 1. Absolutely necessary packages: x11 & gtk.
4 > 2. latex2e and a few other things, all of which are in tetex. Lyx can build
5 > and run without these, but it'd be just a flashy text editor without any
6 > output capabilities.
7 > 3. Important utilities like ghostscipt and gv, to use for viewing your output.
8 > 4. A _very_ large amount of third-party exporters, importers, converters and
9 > viewers. Enables you to output in many formats etc.
10 > 5. A few misc tex packages like the one for Hebrew support (which I use) that
11 > aren't included in tetex.
12
13 Well, have it depend on 1, 2 and 3. We want the base install of our packages
14 to be fully-functional, and tetex and ghostscript and a postscript viewer would
15 be needed to actually use Lyx for anything useful.
16
17 I'm hoping that the things in 4 and 5 can be built as separate packages rather
18 than being included in the main Lyx package. If this is possible, that's what
19 I would recommend as well.
20
21 > Which of these should the ebuild force (i.e. DEPEND on)?
22 >
23 > An idea: building a lyx-base ebuild which only depends on x11/gtk and a lyx
24 > ebuild which does nothing but depends on lyx-bsae, tetex and everything else.
25 > Maybe with another in-between stage (i.e. a lyx-utils ebuild).
26 >
27 > What do you think?
28
29 A good solution, since it gives our users more flexibility.
30
31 > ----
32 >
33 > Another issue: whould Lyx go into app-text (as a latex frontend) or into
34 > app-office (as a word processor)?
35 >
36 > ----
37
38 I'd put it in app-text.
39
40 > And finally: does anybody here except myself use LyX? Because I can't
41 > understand how such a great distro cold live so long without this
42 > all-important package. :-)
43
44 Well, that's why we're glad that you're around :))
45
46 Best Regards,
49 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
50 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org