From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [PR] ivy, mvn, sbt, gradle builders improvement for ebuild development
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 21:25:17
1 On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 17:03:50 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 4/20/20 4:19 PM, Patrick McLean wrote:
5 > >
6 > > My co-workers are not the only ones adding/maintaining go packages in the tree, please do not single out any groups, and let's all work to make Gentoo the best it can be.
9 > Everyone else is just using the eclass that your coworkers defended and
10 > committed the last time we did this. We're not in this together and you
11 > sound like a COVID commercial from a billionaire that wants me to go
12 > back to work. You're in this for you, and everything you do for you
13 > makes things worse for me.
14 >
15 We are under no obligation to contribute anything to ::gentoo, we could do all our go packaging work in a private overlay, and never push anything upstream. It is a considerable amount of extra work to push our packages upstream. We do this to contribute to the wider Gentoo community. I resent your statement that we are not doing this to contribute to the community.
16
17 Please explain how we are actively making things worse for you? We are contributing useful packages to the tree, we are doing the work and we are doing it in the way that makes the most effective use of our time. We simply do not have time to be trying to convince upstreams to make changes to their build systems to support a single, somewhat niche, distribution. We certainly don't have time to be patching build systems with every version bump.