From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [PR] ivy, mvn, sbt, gradle builders improvement for ebuild development
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 22:08:14
1 On 4/20/20 5:25 PM, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 >
3 > Please explain how we are actively making things worse for you? We
4 > are contributing useful packages to the tree, we are doing the work
5 > and we are doing it in the way that makes the most effective use of
6 > our time. We simply do not have time to be trying to convince
7 > upstreams to make changes to their build systems to support a single,
8 > somewhat niche, distribution. We certainly don't have time to be
9 > patching build systems with every version bump.
12 You're introducing unfixable security vulnerabilities into a
13 distribution that I recommend to people, that my name implicitly
14 endorses, and that I use to professionally to handle peoples' sensitive
15 personal data.
16
17 Likewise with the license issues that can't be fixed.
18
19 It's a waste of time having to explain to every new contributor that Go
20 ebuilds in ::gentoo are "special" and aren't something they should be
21 using as an example.
22
23 You're setting an example that our QA and security standards (that we
24 beat to death in the quizzes) can be ignored whenever you feel like it.
25 This indirectly creates technical debt as other developers follow your
26 example.
27
28 You're directly creating technical debt that someone else is going to
29 have to clean up when you move on to the next shiny and the treecleaners
30 have to waste six months last-riting everything.
31
32 And you're blocking a golang implementation that doesn't have these
33 problems.