From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: "Håvard Wall" <haavardw@×××××××.no>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: werner.van.belle@××××××.be
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] compile time statistics
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:07:35
1 On Saturday 26 July 2003 10:56 am, Håvard Wall wrote:
2 > I believe gentoo-stats is already sampling a lot of the needed
3 > information. An estimate could primarly be based on some "major"
4 > factors; perhaps cpu-type and clock frequency. Then, if enough
5 > statistics is available for the current architecture, on other settings
6 > as well, sucb as -O flags and size of main memory (MAKEOPTS?). A kind of
7 > hierarchical estimate... Could perhaps be hard to implement in practice
8 > though (?).
9 >
10 > But I believe there probably is some limited set of factors that could
11 > provide a reasonably good estimate.
12
13 Whoever actually implements these ideas, please don't forget that you need a
14 solution for capturing accurate stats on machines that use Portage's distcc
15 support. Because otherwise, your stats will not be as accurate as you'd
16 like.
17
18 Best regards,
19 Stu
20 --
21 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
22 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
23 Upcoming packages list http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
24
25 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
26 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C