From: "Håvard Wall" <haavardw@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: werner.van.belle@××××××.be
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] compile time statistics
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:57:03
1 Werner Van Belle wrote:
2 > Altough it's a nice proposal that would be really usefull, I still think there
3 > are some serious problems involved. Compilation time is non lineair.
4 > Depending on how much cache, how much memory, how fast your hard-disk is,
5 > what your bus-speed is and above all, what the user is doing at the same time
6 > while upgrading his machine will seriously impact compilation time. All of
7 > these factors are very difficult to take into account.
8
9 I believe gentoo-stats is already sampling a lot of the needed
10 information. An estimate could primarly be based on some "major"
11 factors; perhaps cpu-type and clock frequency. Then, if enough
12 statistics is available for the current architecture, on other settings
13 as well, sucb as -O flags and size of main memory (MAKEOPTS?). A kind of
14 hierarchical estimate... Could perhaps be hard to implement in practice
15 though (?).
16
17 But I believe there probably is some limited set of factors that could
18 provide a reasonably good estimate.
21 hw
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list