From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: "Håvard Wall" <haavardw@×××××××.no>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, werner.van.belle@××××××.be
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] compile time statistics
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:51:04
1 On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 05:56, Håvard Wall wrote:
2 > information. An estimate could primarly be based on some "major"
3 > factors; perhaps cpu-type and clock frequency. Then, if enough
4 > statistics is available for the current architecture, on other settings
5 > as well, sucb as -O flags and size of main memory (MAKEOPTS?). A kind of
6 > hierarchical estimate... Could perhaps be hard to implement in practice
7 > though (?).
8
9 To be anywhere near the correct answer you would need to know:
10 - CPU type
11 - CPU speed
12 - Number of CPUs
13 - MAKEOPTS
14 - USE flags
15 - Some of the CFLAGS, particularly -march and -O
16
17 You would also have to cancel out any data gotten from a machine with
18 distcc or ccache enabled, since those will throw your accuracy way off.
19 For example, I have a P166MMX machine running Gentoo on 32MB of RAM. It
20 runs fine. How is it setup? Simple, I have it setup for distcc with
21 MAKEOPTS=-j4 and DISTCC_HOSTS="smpbox1/2 smpbox2/2 othermachine". It
22 pretty much never does any compiling locally. It can compile
23 applications almost as fast as working with one of my SMP machines. The
24 data would be completely off on this machine if it were to be submitted.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Developer, Gentoo Linux
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list