From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: LC_ALL=C Set by default for portage
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 22:49:06
1 On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:20:14 +0100
2 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > lately i see that in our bugzilla most of the build reports are
6 > reported with localized build logs which we dont understand. This
7 > leads to us asking the user to run the emerge once more with LC_ALL=C.
8 >
9 > Wont it be nice to have this variable set by default in portage so
10 > users reporting bugs report in English? Since if everything goes fine
11 > they dont even bother about the warnings/errors and if something goes
12 > wrong it ends up on us to solve the mess :]
13 >
14 > The LC_ALL should be set for all relevant configure/compile/install
15 > phases at least.
16
17 You do realize that many people don't speak any English, and therefore
18 wouldn't be filing bugs anyways? They just want to use their
19 computer. I'm not sure they will appreciate you forcing a language they
20 don't speak on them any more than I would like to suddenly see all my
21 build errors in Myanmar.
24 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
25 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
26 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662