From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, pr@g.o, gnome <gnome@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Gentoo News file about GNOME 3.2's unmasking
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 14:36:38
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 2:13 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> Since GNOME 3 is already in the
5 >>> tree, and the news file content is straightforward, I'd like to commit
6 >>> this in 24hrs if there are no problems.
7 >>
8 >> If we're gong to go to all the trouble to create upgrade guides and
9 >> news/etc, wouldn't it make sense to send out the news item a few days
10 >> BEFORE making the change?
13 > That was indeed the intention, but there was a miscommunication.
14
15 On my part, it was a failure of imagination. I had always seen large
16 changes dumped in ~arch with no warning or documentation (even the
17 png15 upgrade didn't get a news item until libpng-1.5.x went stable),
18 and so unquestioningly came to assume that it's the way things are
19 done because that's the way things were always done. Then some hours
20 after gnome-3 was unmasked, I saw Nirbheek talking on IRC about making
21 a news item, and winced: of course! why didn't I think of that? As an
22 ~arch user, I had not particularly enjoyed massive changes being
23 dumped on my head without warning, so now that I was a developer and
24 it was in my power to write news items, why didn't I think of writing
25 one before unmasking?
26
27 -Alexandre