From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, pr@g.o, gnome <gnome@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Gentoo News file about GNOME 3.2's unmasking
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:57:52
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 2:13 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Since GNOME 3 is already in the
4 >> tree, and the news file content is straightforward, I'd like to commit
5 >> this in 24hrs if there are no problems.
6 >
7 > If we're gong to go to all the trouble to create upgrade guides and
8 > news/etc, wouldn't it make sense to send out the news item a few days
9 > BEFORE making the change?
12 That was indeed the intention, but there was a miscommunication.
13
14 > If a user runs emerge -u world daily they wouldn't even see this news item.
15 >
16 > Obviously the horses have already left the barn, but maybe this is
17 > something we can do differently when it comes time to stabilize the
18 > change?
21 All is not quite lost. An elog was added to the end of
22 gnome-base/gnome-core-libs which would be merged very early on in the
23 upgrade process. Of course this is not a substitute at all, but does
24 alleviate the issue. A forums post was also made by tetromino.
25
26 > I'm sure this was inadvertent, but looking beyond just this particular
27 > incident is there anything we can do to improve our use of news items?
28 >  Since we're a distro that uses rolling releases users really have no
29 > way to know what to expect after any particular emerge world.  It
30 > could be some completely routine bump that isn't going to cause
31 > problems, or it could require extensive rebuilding, config-file
32 > tweaking, and risk of the system not booting.  News is really the only
33 > way to give them a heads-up in advance.  Granted, something like a
34 > gnome/kde bump is going to pull in so many packages that I think most
35 > users would exercise caution, so that mitigates the issue a bit.
38 I think that the addition of a Display-If-Visible option would help,
39 along with the addition of news file procedures to the devmanual and
40 the quizzes. Even I didn't know where to commit the news file before
41 some creative googling today gave me the right answer.
44 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
45
46 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team