From: John Richard Moser <nigelenki@×××××××.net>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Cc: solar@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:21:35
2 Hash: SHA1
6 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 | On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:40:39 -0400 John Richard Moser
8 | <nigelenki@×××××××.net> wrote:
9 | | | Personally, I would be *very* wary about giving our x86 users a 5%
10 | | | performance hit
11 | |
12 | | 1. Where are you getting 5% from?
13 |
14 | I did some quick measurements on vim's test suite with and without
15 | -fstack-protector. The value varies per app, of course, but vim's regex
16 | stuff was taking a ~10% hit (not surprising) and the file ops were
17 | affected considerably less. *shrug* depends upon the app, of course.
18 |
19
20 Mmm, interesting.
21
22 Because SSP's protections are not generally applied (-fstack-protector
23 only affects functions with strings), it's difficult to measure I guess.
24
25 | | 2. What context is this "Performance" hit in? gcc would take a
26 | | "performance" hit because it eats 100% CPU; most nothing else would
27 | | take a "performance" hit unless the *overhead* pulled CPU usage up to
28 | | 100% for a time.
29 |
30 | Well, performance when a box is at low load is of no interest...
31 |
32
33 Which is 99% of the time of course. :) Hell if your box is running at
34 80% load performance hit is of no interest (although adding enough for
35 it to run at 80% load instead of 1% is bad).
36
37 | | I guess this is the point where I have to ebuild unpack nbyte and
38 | | generate SSP benchmarks. Why oh why didn't I bench ssp when I was
39 | | doing PIC?
40 |
41 | Note that some kinds of benchmarks, such as integer op tests, won't
42 | be affected at all by SSP. Certain kinds of string handling, on the
43 | other hand, will be hit really badly. Better to pick an app and
44 | benchmark it than running dedicated benchmarkers.
47 Heh. True, it's too specific to quantify I guess.
48
49 The impact is also less with large functions. If you have a 3
50 instruction function, the extra SSP instructions are bigger than the
51 damn function; if you have a function made of 150 lines of C code,
52 obviously that's going to have little to no impact.
53 |
54
55 - --
56 All content of all messages exchanged herein are left in the
57 Public Domain, unless otherwise explicitly stated.
58
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list