From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: John Richard Moser <nigelenki@×××××××.net>
Cc: solar@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:59:09
1 On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:40:39 -0400 John Richard Moser
2 <nigelenki@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 | | Personally, I would be *very* wary about giving our x86 users a 5%
4 | | performance hit
5 |
6 | 1. Where are you getting 5% from?
7
8 I did some quick measurements on vim's test suite with and without
9 -fstack-protector. The value varies per app, of course, but vim's regex
10 stuff was taking a ~10% hit (not surprising) and the file ops were
11 affected considerably less. *shrug* depends upon the app, of course.
12
13 | 2. What context is this "Performance" hit in? gcc would take a
14 | "performance" hit because it eats 100% CPU; most nothing else would
15 | take a "performance" hit unless the *overhead* pulled CPU usage up to
16 | 100% for a time.
17
18 Well, performance when a box is at low load is of no interest...
19
20 | I guess this is the point where I have to ebuild unpack nbyte and
21 | generate SSP benchmarks. Why oh why didn't I bench ssp when I was
22 | doing PIC?
23
24 Note that some kinds of benchmarks, such as integer op tests, won't
25 be affected at all by SSP. Certain kinds of string handling, on the
26 other hand, will be hit really badly. Better to pick an app and
27 benchmark it than running dedicated benchmarkers.
30 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
31 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
32 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm