From: "Konstantin V. Gavrilenko" <mlists@××××××.com>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] syslog-ng
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:09:21
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 23 November 2004 09:38, Ed Grimm wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Konstantin V. Gavrilenko wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Guys,
7 >>>
8 >>>just thought I should mention this.
9 >>>
10 >>>if you setup a syslog-ng server that binds to an interface and listens
11 >>>to collect incoming logs, at the next reboot it will fail to do so. I
12 >>>believe this issue is due to the order of execution of the init.d
13 >>>initialization scripts, since syslog-ng is started before the net.ethX
14 >>>scripts are executed. The exim would not start following the failure
15 >>>of the syslog-ng.
16 >>
17 >>My experience is, this is actually unpredictable - net.ethX does not
18 >>provide 'net', and so whether syslog-ng (or, for that matter, any other
19 >>syslog service) starts up before or after the network is established is
20 >>anyone's guess. Given the total number of places it can start up on a
21 >>typical system, I would guess that it probably usually starts after the
22 >>network has initialized.
25 > Syslog-ng should, like iptables, bind to an interface even if it is not up.
26 > There are reasons to start the logger as soon as possible. Alternatively you
27 > could signal syslog-ng to reload itself again just before exim loads.
28 >
29 > Paul
30
31 I know that the logger should be started early, also instead of indicating it in
32 exim init script, i have done it in net.ethX , after the interface is brought up.
33
34 Paul, do you guys have any plans to switch networking initialisation from
35 ifconfig/route/arp etc. to iproute2 suite?
40 Respectfully,
41 Konstantin V. Gavrilenko
42
43 Arhont Ltd - Information Security