From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] syslog-ng
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:47:30
1 On Tuesday 23 November 2004 09:38, Ed Grimm wrote:
2 > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Konstantin V. Gavrilenko wrote:
3 > > Guys,
4 > >
5 > > just thought I should mention this.
6 > >
7 > > if you setup a syslog-ng server that binds to an interface and listens
8 > > to collect incoming logs, at the next reboot it will fail to do so. I
9 > > believe this issue is due to the order of execution of the init.d
10 > > initialization scripts, since syslog-ng is started before the net.ethX
11 > > scripts are executed. The exim would not start following the failure
12 > > of the syslog-ng.
13 >
14 > My experience is, this is actually unpredictable - net.ethX does not
15 > provide 'net', and so whether syslog-ng (or, for that matter, any other
16 > syslog service) starts up before or after the network is established is
17 > anyone's guess. Given the total number of places it can start up on a
18 > typical system, I would guess that it probably usually starts after the
19 > network has initialized.
20
21 Syslog-ng should, like iptables, bind to an interface even if it is not up.
22 There are reasons to start the logger as soon as possible. Alternatively you
23 could signal syslog-ng to reload itself again just before exim loads.
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze
29 Gentoo Developer